Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: <nop> problem

From: chris wallace
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: <nop> problem
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:19:01 +0000

Quoting Sacha Chua <address@hidden>:

> chris wallace <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I was editting the following
> > <pre>
> >   ---    *fatness*    ----
> >   BMI           bmi (sum, diff) for sib pair
> >   WaistHip      waist_hip_ratio for sib pair
> >   Tri           triceps (sum, diff) for sib pair
> >   Bi            biceps (sum, diff) for sib pair
> >   Sub           subscapular  (sum, diff) for sib pair
> >   Sup           suprailiac (sum, diff) for sib pair
> >   Fat           bmi>25 (both or one member of sib pair)
> >   VFat          bmi>30 (both or one member of sib pair)
> > </pre>
>
> Better to use <example>.

except <example> means *fatness* won't be rendered emphasized (this is an
excerpt from a long list, with "dividers" like
---    *fatness*    ----
---    *individual BP*    ----

> although it looks like you're trying to make a table, so
>
> BMI | bmi (sum, diff) for sib pair
> <nop>WaistHip | ...

again, this presents problems for the "dividers", which I would like to span
both columns (I don't think there's a way to represent such in emacs-wiki?).
Also, although I insert the dividers manually, the list is just pasted from
another program and comes lined up nicely for <pre> format.  Quite often I just
paste such output into a file and surround with <pre> or <example> rather than
troubling to convert to table format.

While on the subject of tables (sort of), I often want to put maths like P(A|B)
into a file.  I can prevent it being rendered as a table by writing =P(A|B)=,
but then it comes out in fixed font.  Is there an alternative method to say
"emacs-wiki please don't attempt to render this part"?

> > and everything up to "25 (both or..." was swallowed into invisibleness.
> (The
> > <nop was matching to the next > and swallowing the bits in between).
>
> Here's a better nop method:
>
> (defun emacs-wiki-nop-tag (beg end highlight-p)
>   (when (= (- end beg) 5)
>     (if highlight-p
>         (add-text-properties beg end '(invisible t intangible t)))
>     (when (looking-at emacs-wiki-name-regexp)
>       (unless highlight-p
>         (add-text-properties beg (match-end 0)
>                              '(rear-nonsticky (read-only) read-only t))))))

Yes, much better, thanks.

Chris.