[emacs-wiki-discuss] <nop> problem

From: chris wallace
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] <nop> problem
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:45:15 +0000

I don't know enough lisp to understand exactly how the <nop> tag is processed (I
think it's the emacs-wiki-nop-tag function?), but I was wondering if the regexp
used could be improved.

I was editting the following
<pre>
  ---    *fatness*    ----
  BMI           bmi (sum, diff) for sib pair
  WaistHip      waist_hip_ratio for sib pair
  Tri           triceps (sum, diff) for sib pair
  Bi            biceps (sum, diff) for sib pair
  Sub           subscapular  (sum, diff) for sib pair
  Sup           suprailiac (sum, diff) for sib pair
  Fat           bmi>25 (both or one member of sib pair)
  VFat          bmi>30 (both or one member of sib pair)
</pre>

To prevent the "WaistHip" becoming a link, I placed my cursor at the beginning
of that line, typed
"<nop"
and everything up to "25 (both or..." was swallowed into invisibleness.  (The
<nop was matching to the next > and swallowing the bits in between).

Now, I realise I should have put the cursor on the first character of WaistHip
as I entered <nop>, but, even so, to "lose" such a large chunk of text was
worrying.  Could this be improved?  Or perhaps it would be possible to
(setq turn-off-invisible-forever t)
for all my emacs-wiki files.  (I'd probably prefer to see such markup within the
page I'm writing).  For now I can
(defun emacs-wiki-nop-tag (beg end highlight-p)
 (lambda()))
but I thought this might be a problem others would run into too.

C.