Re: emacs-29 b44a7ff85dc: Allow 'icon-title-format' to have the value t

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: emacs-29 b44a7ff85dc: Allow 'icon-title-format' to have the value t
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 16:22:59 +0100

Po Lu <Luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Why not write:
>
> "This is useful on certain versions of KDE, where [description of the bug]"
>
> in NEWS instead?  It would be much less misleading.

But the point is that the special value for icon-title-format is not all
that helpful at avoiding that bug. Certainly not more than

(setq icon-title-format (setq frame-title-format "blah))

... and even then the problem may happen anyway.

Plus, the KDE bug requires an specific configuration of KWin, so it is
not a frequent case at all.

At first I thought that Emacs was buggy, so I created an Emacs bug
report. Then we discovered that KDE is buggy and closed the issue, but
in the meantime I noticed that Emacs changing the frame title when it is
minimized can be problematic, and thus created another bug report
suggesting to set the default of icon-title-format to stay in sync with
frame-title-format. Somehow Eli mixed those two issues and introduced a
change to icon-title-format thinking on the original bug report.