Re: emacs-29 b44a7ff85dc: Allow 'icon-title-format' to have the value t

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-29 b44a7ff85dc: Allow 'icon-title-format' to have the value t
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 21:07:02 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 19:51:19 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > If that's what users want, how did they do it before this change?
>
> They didn't need to do anything, because icon-frame-title was
> ineffective and Emacs used frame-title-format when minimized too.

They don't need to do anything now, either, because the default value
of icon-frame-title is a string whose text is identical to that of
frame-title-format.

> > If the desktop doesn't behave like KDE, users could simply set both
> > formats to two identical strings.  The only reason to force Emacs to
> > use the _same_ string (which can only be done internally) is that
> > those desktops misbehave.
>
> The reason to force Emacs to use the same string is to behave as most
> users expect, and to avoid hard-to-detect breakage on desktop automation
> setups that depend on the title of the window.
>
> That was explained in #61496. No need to rehash the discussion here.
>
> > So I don't see why we should remove the explanation.
> >
> >> OTOH, maybe we could explain that icon-frame-title it is effective
> >> in cases where the user does not explicitly iconify the frame, as
> >> when he moves to another virtual desktop.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't think I understand what you mean here.
>
> Again, it was explained in #61496.

Look, you started this discussion.  Now it sounds like you don't want
to continue it.  Neither do I, as a matter of fact.  I see no need to
change anything in the documentation of these features.