Re: Android port

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Re: Android port
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 11:40:22 +0100

Hi,

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> writes:

>> Il 19/02/2023 03:13 Po Lu ha scritto:
>>
>> As it says, you should read the node ``Android Environment'' in the
>> Emacs manual.  This notification is displayed to prevent Emacs from
>> being killed after entering the background.
>
> I did but many things are still unclear..
>
>> Copying an init.el from another system is best done through the system
>> file manager or by copying the files into Emacs's home directory via the
>> external storage.
>>

> Here the file manager does not show Emacs directory.. or at least I cannot
> find
> it.. It is unclear the last sentence: from Emacs I can visit a file, say in
> /sdcard/Download/, but HOW copy it in Emacs, say in ~/?

On my device, which uses a near-vanilla build of AOSP, Emacs is visible
in the hamburger menu on the left in the Files app, below the SD card
option, and above Termux.  Do you see something similar on your device?

>> File managers on most proprietary versions of Android refuse to display
>> Emacs's home directory, because they are more keen to display
>> advertisements than to actually manage files.
>
> ..so this way could be unusable here...
>

>> First, try with an up to date build.
>
> Let's wait for an F-Droid update, then..

FWIW, I could reproduce this on 1f81186d67b2a86e6a555a7ad3323fcd13f5e257
but not c8f49c9276d34741bfbe7752dd38391c0b8d782b, so, it may be fixed.

>>   adb logcat | grep android_run_debug_thread
>>

> to run the above or similar I should install adb on GNU/Linux (Mint in my
> case)? and how to connect the device? with its cable? I never did this because
> I transfer files via ssh and similar.. BTW, I have adb installed in Termux on
> the same device.. I wonder if I can use that..

You could, technically, though it's likely easier to do it on your PC.
Enable USB debugging, install the adb package.  Your normal
charging/data transfer cable ought to work.

> In any case,
>  Thanks!

Have a nice day.
--