Re: Request to backport fix for CVE-2022-45939 to Emacs 28

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Request to backport fix for CVE-2022-45939 to Emacs 28
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 12:41:47 -0800

From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Cc: eliz@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 12:50:08 -0500

What makes it a ontrivial job to release one?  Is it because there
other fixes have been committed to the Emacs 28 branch since the last
release?  Would including them in a release call for some additioal
work?

The whole process takes a non-trivial amount of work.  It is described
in make-tarball.txt.  If someone wants to do it, they are welcome.

Would it help to turn make-tarball.txt into an executable script? Looking through the document, I believe most of it could be automated. Even if we only automated the easiest parts, that would still cut down on the amount of manual effort required.

Eventually, we could even use EMBA to produce these tarballs if we can get the script to the point where it requires no human intervention. Then (assuming permissions are set up properly and some various other handwaving), all a maintainer would have to do to publish a new Emacs release would be to tag a revision and push the tag to Savannah.

If there's interest in any of this, I'm happy to help work on it.