Re: Request to backport fix for CVE-2022-45939 to Emacs 28

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Request to backport fix for CVE-2022-45939 to Emacs 28
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 12:50:08 -0500

  > While I understand the resourcing issues, I think this is the wrong
  > decision. We are in the situation where the current released version of
  > Emacs has a known security exploit with a severity classification of
  > high (although this assessment seems to be under review) and the
  > response seems to be "Sorry, we are too busy trying to get the next
  > version released to deal with this".

I agree.  Fixing this one bug seems to be important to our user
community, and we already know the fix.  We should release a fixed
version.

What makes it a ontrivial job to release one?  Is it because there
other fixes have been committed to the Emacs 28 branch since the last
release?  Would including them in a release call for some additioal
work?

If so, I am sure we can find a solution that avoids some of that work.