Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 09:42:50 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: dgutov@yandex.ru,  acm@muc.de,  juri@linkov.net,  casouri@gmail.com,
>   larsi@gnus.org,  theo@thornhill.no,  jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 16:04:23 -0500
>
> >> I really can't see the "practical consideration" that justifies
> >> such a decision.
> > Well, I do.  And I explained this several times already in the past,
>
> Could you point to those explanations because I can't remember seeing
> them in the long discussion(s).

Sorry, no can do.  I don't have the time required to look them up,
what with the search of the emacs-devel archives still badly broken.

> Overriding the user's `auto-mode-alist` setting when merely loading
> `c-ts-mode.el` is pretty drastic in my view, so the argument in favor of
> this should be very strong and clear.

The argument is simplicity for the users to try these modes and turn
them on in their customizations.

> E.g. just `C-h o c-ts-mode RET` or `C-h o c-ts TAB` is enough to load that
> file.

That's an existing problem that should somehow be fixed, if we
consider "C-h o" a popular command used by many users (I don't
consider it that, and fail to see why someone would even think about
doing that).