Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 16:04:23 -0500

>> I really can't see the "practical consideration" that justifies
>> such a decision.
> Well, I do.  And I explained this several times already in the past,

Could you point to those explanations because I can't remember seeing
them in the long discussion(s).

Overriding the user's `auto-mode-alist` setting when merely loading
`c-ts-mode.el` is pretty drastic in my view, so the argument in favor of
this should be very strong and clear.

E.g. just `C-h o c-ts-mode RET` or `C-h o c-ts TAB` is enough to load that file.

In which use-case is it more "practical" to do as we currently do than
to do it in a way like the one I proposed (or various other ways: as
Dmitry points out, there are many alternatives, and coding them is not
the problem).

        Stefan