Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 09:27:57 +0200

> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 20:31:46 +0000
> Cc: juri@linkov.net, casouri@gmail.com, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>   larsi@gnus.org, theo@thornhill.no, jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> But you've got to allow me to have mixed feelings when the project I've
> put so much into over ~20 years is facing redundancy.

It isn't facing redundancy, it's nowhere near that.  You don't need to
worry about that.  I expect a significant proportion of users to wish
to stay with CC Mode, for several good reasons:

 . the use cases it handles better that c-ts-mode (cpp stuff etc.)
 . the plethora of minor conveniences it offers that c-ts-mode
   doesn't, at least not yet, such as much more elaborate
   customizations of indentation and electric behavior

I'm not even sure yet whether I myself will switch.  I will give the
c-ts-mode a lot of leeway and credit, but I don't know yet what will
be the outcome.

> > .... and suggest ways to turn them off.
>
> Yes.  Plenty of people like CC Mode, but I don't think you are among
> them.

How can I not like it?  I use it every day, for several decades.  I
have several non-trivial customizations of it, some of which I will
probably miss with c-ts-mode, which doesn't yet support them, and
maybe never will.

> These people are likely to want to carry on using CC Mode, at
> least in the short term, and to do this they need a way to switch off the
> new modes.

The new modes don't need to be switched off because they are off to
begin with.  People who don't like them don't need to change their
configuration even a single bit.  I specifically and explicitly took
care of that, over the hesitations, bewilderment, and downright
objections of several good people here.  You have just heard them
again, and they still disagree with me over the result, with valid
arguments.  So I find it ironic that all that effort is now seen as
insufficient, by you of all people.  Maybe you should try looking at
this issue from my POV.

> I think you must agree with me there.  Where we differ is
> that I want to make this way of restoring CC Mode's position in
> auto-mode-alist easy, whereas you seem to be content that it remain
> difficult.  I confess I don't understand why.

"Difficult"?  Restarting Emacs is not difficult.  Many users do that
all the time (watch the posts about how fast Emacs should start up),
even though we recommend not to do that.  And if the user finds he or
she doesn't like the new mode, that restart is a single event, no need
to do it more than once.  That's not my notion of "difficult".