Re: [External] : Pop-up-windows vs display-buffer-take-action

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : Pop-up-windows vs display-buffer-take-action
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 22:10:41 +0200

> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> CC: "raman@google.com" <raman@google.com>,
>         "emacs-devel@gnu.org"
>       <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 20:00:35 +0000
>
> So then what was the "fight" "lost 12 years
> ago"?

That sentence being inserted into the manual.

> It can't have been about that addition (in
> Emacs 28) to the doc string.  Emacs 28 was
> released only a year ago.

This text in the manual is from 2011.

> But just what's being recommended to users
> about this option?

What the text says: don't use it in Lisp programs.  And please don't
expect me to explain more, because I don't know about display-buffer
actions more than the next guy.  I never use them, and try very hard
to stay as far as possible from them, to keep my sanity.
>   that newer option appears much more complex
>   to configure;  a recipe for getting
>   something close to the old pop-up-windows t
>   would be nice.
>
> Indeed.  How to get that behavior, or even
> close to it, with `display-buffer-base-action'?
> That's never been answered, to my knowledge.

My answer: keep using pop-up-windows.