RE: [External] : Pop-up-windows vs display-buffer-take-action

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Pop-up-windows vs display-buffer-take-action
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 16:46:28 +0000

> I notice that pop-up-windows is now deprecated and the doc says to use
> the more complex display-buffer-take-action; however that newer option
> appears much more complex to configure;  a recipe for getting
> something close to the old pop-up-windows t would be nice.

+1000.

`pop-up-windows' shouldn't have been deprecated.

There's no reason to let the "perfect", Rube
Goldberg, hyper-complicated, `display-buffer-*"
apparatus be the enemy of the good-old, simple,
`pop-up-windows' behavior.

I need `pop-up-windows'.  But then, I've given
up on Emacs 28+ (even 27+) for my own use,
because of other unfortunate breakage.

Emacs 28 added this to the doc string of
`pop-up-windows':

 This variable is provided mainly for backward
 compatibility and should not be used in new code.

Used in code?  It's a _user option_.

Maybe what was meant was that new vanilla
Emacs code will no longer bother to respect
it.  (But if so, why put a guideline for Emacs
development in a user-option doc string?)