RE: [External] : Pop-up-windows vs display-buffer-take-action

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Pop-up-windows vs display-buffer-take-action
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 17:38:34 +0000

> > > I notice that pop-up-windows is now deprecated and the doc says to use
> > > the more complex display-buffer-take-action; however that newer option
> > > appears much more complex to configure;  a recipe for getting
> > > something close to the old pop-up-windows t would be nice.
> >
> > +1000.
> >
> > `pop-up-windows' shouldn't have been deprecated.
>
> Are we now going to pick up fights lost 12 years ago?  Really?

Not picking any fights.  Expressing my sadness
that this happened.  (But you lifted my spirits
by suggesting/hinting (?), below, that it's
_not_ deprecated.)

> And where do you see that this variable is deprecated, btw?

You're right that I didn't see the word
"deprecated" as such.  If you think
"deprecated" is not meant, so much the better.
Glad to hear that.

To be clearer, the (28.2) doc string says this:

 This variable is provided mainly for backward
 compatibility and should not be used in new code.
 To make 'display-buffer' behave as if this were t,
 customize 'display-buffer-base-action' instead.

What I pointed out wrt referring to "used in new
code" stands.  This seems to be telling someone
(users of the option in new code? who is that?
what kinds of code use options?) that they
should customize a different option.

If this wants to tell users to use one option
instead of another, why is it talking about using
the other (apparently nondeprecated) option "in
code"?