Re: has the emoji support been enhanced on master?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: has the emoji support been enhanced on master?
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 08:32:23 +0000 (UTC)

>> I am seeing the same symptoms as Uwe on openSUSE 15.4:  The first emoji
>> shows in emacs but not the second, but both are visible in chrome.

I'm using openSUSE 15.4, too, and in my Emacs (self-compiled from git two
weeks ago) I see both Emojis (image attached).

>> Moreover, I've had the distro-supplied noto-coloremoji-fonts RPM
>> since I installed 15.4 last summer, so it would seem to be a
>> difference between the way emacs and chrome go about finding that
>> font.  But I don't know enough about that code to dig further.

Here is the info I get for the second emoji.

```
             position: 4887 of 5275 (93%), column: 29
            character: 🤷 (displayed as 🤷) (codepoint 129335, #o374467, #x1f937)
              charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0x1F937
               script: emoji
               syntax: w        which means: word
             category: .:Base
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 1f937" or "C-x 8 RET SHRUG"
          buffer code: #xF0 #x9F #xA4 #xB7
            file code: not encodable by coding system ctext-unix
              display: composed to form "🤷‍♂️" (see below)
     composition name: man shrugging

Composed with the following character(s) "‍♂️" using this font:
  ftcrhb:-GOOG-Noto Color Emoji-regular-normal-normal-*-18-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
by these glyphs:
  [0 3 129335 2731 22 0 23 17 5 nil]
with these character(s):
  ‍ (#x200d) ZERO WIDTH JOINER
  ♂ (#x2642) MALE SIGN
  ️ (#xfe0f) VARIATION SELECTOR-16

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: SHRUG
  general-category: So (Symbol, Other)
  decomposition: (129335) ('🤷')
```

In the output of `fc-list` I see the line

```
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/NotoColorEmoji.ttf: Noto Color Emoji:style=Regular
```

which is part of the `noto-coloremoji-fonts` openSUSE package.

    Werner

PNG image