Re: has the emoji support been enhanced on master?

From: Bob Rogers
Subject: Re: has the emoji support been enhanced on master?
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 12:46:39 -0800

   From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
   Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:41:53 +0200

   > From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
   > Cc: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
   > Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 20:38:08 +0100
   >
   > > That blog describes how to set up a font for your private use, and I'm
   > > not sure Emacs looks there.
   >
   > > Or maybe you need to re-run some Fontconfig utility after installing.
   >
   > I did and the fonts seems to installed since I see the emojis say in
chrome, but no in emacs.

   Well, others do see it in Emacs, so it's still most probably something
   local on your system.

I am seeing the same symptoms as Uwe on openSUSE 15.4:  The first emoji
shows in emacs but not the second, but both are visible in chrome.
Moreover, I've had the distro-supplied noto-coloremoji-fonts RPM since I
installed 15.4 last summer, so it would seem to be a difference between
the way emacs and chrome go about finding that font.  But I don't know
enough about that code to dig further.

                                        -- Bob Rogers
                                           http://www.rgrjr.com/

rogers@orion> rpm -ql noto-coloremoji-fonts
/usr/share/fonts/truetype
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/NotoColorEmoji.ttf
/usr/share/licenses/noto-coloremoji-fonts
/usr/share/licenses/noto-coloremoji-fonts/LICENSE
rogers@orion> rpm -qi noto-coloremoji-fonts
Name        : noto-coloremoji-fonts
Version     : 20191119
Release     : 1.9
Architecture: noarch
Install Date: Fri 29 Jul 2022 10:22:03 AM PDT
Group       : System/X11/Fonts
Size        : 9389521
License     : OFL-1.1
Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Fri 05 Jun 2020 05:55:41 PM PDT, Key ID
70af9e8139db7c82
Source RPM  : noto-coloremoji-fonts-20191119-1.9.src.rpm
Build Date  : Fri 05 Jun 2020 05:53:57 PM PDT
Build Host  : sheep53
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager    : https://www.suse.com/
Vendor      : SUSE LLC <https://www.suse.com/>