Re: has the emoji support been enhanced on master?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: has the emoji support been enhanced on master?
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 07:30:15 +1100

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> [[S/MIME Signed Part:Undecided]]
>

>> OK, I think I understand the problem: you don't have the Noto Color
>> Emoji font installed.  Install it, and the display will be according
>> to expectations.
>
> I followed:
>
> https://jenciso.github.io/blog/how-setup-your-noto-color-emoji-fonts/
>
> But this font is not used by Emacs for unknown reasons, strange.

I'm not sure I would trust that blog post. It is from 4 years ago and
things have changed since then.

>From memory, to install a new font under ubuntu (actually, I find this
works on most GNU Linux systems), I just do

1. Copy the font files into a directory under ~/.local/share/fonts (you
can call the directory whatever you like, I would possibly use something
like noto-colour).

2. Run fc-cache -v

and that  is it. However, before doing any of that, I would also verify
your Ubuntu doesn't already have a package for the Noto fonts. If your
running a supported version of Ubuntu, I suspect it will. Of course, you
will also need to undo the changes you made from that blog post - in
particular, undo chagnes made to the font config file.

Also, make sure you have removed any of the previous emacs config stuff
people use to use to enable emoji support. I find that provided you have
the appropriate fonts installed, you don't need anything in your init.el
file to enable emoji support with recent versions of emacs.