Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 09:29:10 -0500

On Mon, Feb 6, 2023, 9:07 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 08:37:46 -0500
> Cc: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>       emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023, 8:05 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>  Yes.  I'm saying that for re-dumping one should make sure that the
>  additional dumped *.eln files are in the ../native-lisp directory
>  relative to where the Emacs binary lives, and then when Emacs is
>  restarted, it will find those *.eln files at startup time.
>
> Are you saying dump-emacs-portable supports preloaded native-compiled libraries now?

No, I'm saying that starting Emacs assumes the dumped *.eln files live
in one of two possible locations, and you must make sure they are in
one of those two locations, or else Emacs will fail to start.

Then I'm confused by what you mean by "re-dumping" above.  I'm only referencing the result of starting temacs in dump-mode.

Andreas may well be correct that there are no additional challenges for native-compiled libraries than there would be for byte-compiled, aside from the part of the build process ensuring those eln files exist in the right location that you note.  But since dump-portable-emacs is available for the byte-compiled case, these limitations are most noticable for someone attempting to dump native-compiled libraries.

As soon as a library requiring cl-lib is included, the prohibition (in dump-mode) against autoloading and circular requires is a problem.

Lynn