Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 14:55:27 -0500

On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 12:05 AM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> Not at all.  The point of advice is for _users_ to alter functions
> in Emacs.  But code in Emacs should never do that.
> [...]
> The node Advising Named Functions in the Emacs Lisp Reference says:
> [...]  Especially, Emacs's own source files should not put
>     advice on functions in Emacs.  (There are currently a few exceptions
>     to this convention, but we aim to correct them.)

Are those exceptions considered bugs?
Something in emacs is putting advice on call-interactively.  When I
extended the baseline dump to include essentially all libraries
included with emacs with native-compilation, it caused an infinite
(asynchronous) regress while compiling the trampoline for
call-interactively.  I wasn't aware of this until /tmp filled up.
That could also be cured by ensuring the dump file used for
asynchronous compiling is a version that excludes site-specific
libraries.  But as you noted, it's harder to debug advice than hooks.

Lynn