Re: How to implement mouse highlighing in tabulated list mode, just like

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to implement mouse highlighing in tabulated list mode, just like for buttons?
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 12:06:16 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2023-02-04 22:01]:
> What do you mean by "that property"?
>
> mouse-face is a text property, and 'highlight' is on of its possible
> values.  I don't think we have a feature whereby an arbitrary text
> property can be put on every line of buffer text.

Thanks, I was researching, and I got it!

I understand `mouse-face' is a text property, and I can give it
`highlight'.

First I was thinking that I could make face with text property, but
that I am not sure.

Can I could just add face with 'mouse-face as text property?

I did not finish the research. I just understood that I can add text
property, but if I can add text property to face, if those 2 are at
all connected, I do not know yet.

I am achieving now the effect by using `propertize` on the element of
each entry of `tabulated-list-entries':

(let ((name (propertize (aref item 1) 'mouse-face 'highlight)))

So that works now well!

> > I wonder if it would slow down the listings in tabulated-list-mode.
>
> When the mouse-face has the value 'highlight', it is only shown when
> the mouse pointer is above the text with that property.  Otherwise,
> the text is displayed normally.

Yes.

I am thinking that if I wish to place mouse-face as text property
line by line, I better avoid making it after the tabulated-list-mode,
as that would slow down.

But now I do not see difference that I can feel.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman