Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 21:29:10 +0200

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com>,  stefankangas@gmail.com,
>   johnw@gnu.org,  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 17:01:37 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com>
> >> Cc: philipk@posteo.net,  stefankangas@gmail.com,  johnw@gnu.org,
> >>   monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 20:59:26 +0530

> >> This is thinking ahead, but we'll want to think about existing open
> >> issues and PRs before making repo archived.
> >
> > I don't understand why.  Even if archived, it is accessible, no?
>
> AFAIK you cannot respond to an issue on GH when the repository is
> archived, so that would make it difficult to tackle any issues that
> would require feedback or discussion in general.

What is the alternative?  If you copy all the issues to debbugs, you
have the same problem.  And it is impractical to expect us to solve
all the issues before importing use-package, and also impractical to
update the issues in GitHub after the import.

So I don't think there's any better solution than gradually work on
the issues via debbugs.  That is, for every issue we want to solve,
file a debbugs bug report, and then work there.