Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 15:53:21 +0200

>>   . if the above doesn't work, make forward-paragraph work through
>>     forward-paragraph-function, so that Org could define its own
>>     function
>
> Introducing the required flexibility into Emacs core is certainly an
> option. Though it is somewhat difficult one because Org also has to
> support older versions of Emacs. We are somewhat limited in using newly
> introduced built-in features.

A tiny note on that one very specific issue: it is possible to expose
bleeding-edge core Emacs features to older Emacsen using ELPA's ":core"
package type.

Eglot, for example, makes use of improvements in eldoc.el, flymake.el,
project.el, xref.el that live exclusively on emacs's master branch, and
have not made it into a formal release yet.

As long as those core libraries are protected from changes which make
them reliant on newer features that cannot be released on ELPA[1], they
allow their dependents to keep targeting older Emacs releases.  E.g. the
master branch's project.el still aims to support Emacs 26.1.

So to some extent, "the technology exists" to allow Org to add hooks to
core Emacs features, and use those hooks through GNU ELPA, *and* support
older Emacsen.

[1] See e.g. 2022-02-03 "Don't use `string-search` in soap-client
    (bug#53744)" (1b0342628e).