Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:05:49 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> For example, what is your opinion of using Org markup in email
> messages?  There are a lot of examples of that, both here and on the
> bug tracker.  People use Org markup and Org-style code blocks quite a
> lot, and reading that is always jarring to me.  For some reason,
> people assume that I read my email in Org mode or some derivative of
> Org.

(There's been a whole subthread about this particular point, but I don't
think I saw anyone spell this out clearly so here we go:)

lisp/gnus/mm-uu.el has picked up on Org-style code blocks since
2011-01-20 "mm-decode.el (mm-inline-media-tests): Add text/x-sh. […]"
(6e3165fb24).

That's around the time I discovered Emacs; I used Gnus as my daily mail
driver for years before I opened my first Org file.  I've probably sent
a couple #+begin_src's before even knowing what Org was, assuming it was
one of those conventions Emacs picked up on (like "> " citations, "--"
signature blocks and "--- 8< ---" scissor lines).

(I don't even remember when I realized that Emacs shipped more than one
MUA, and that not every maintainer used Gnus)

So apologies for partaking in that practice.  FWIW, if my story is any
indication, not everyone who sent those blocks was inherently advocating
for using Org syntax pervasively: they might just have assumed that it
made life better for anyone reading their mail with Emacs (because they
automatically got syntax highlighting out of it), and not realize that
instead they were making it worse (by sandwiching perfectly good code
between noisy sigils).