Re: Common keybindings idea for multiple markups

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Common keybindings idea for multiple markups
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 23:07:18 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> [2022-06-12 20:52]:
> I was referring to the markdown-mode and
> Auctex to illustrate the _need_ to have numerous key bindings in order
> to edit complex Org documents. It is not just something introduced into
> Org out of the blue. Other people solved similar problems and did not
> come up with significantly less key bindings.

There are many markups and using various of them is very beneficial
due to various outputs and qualities. Example is Asciidoc and
Asciidoctor implementation

AsciiDoc Writer’s Guide | Asciidoctor
https://asciidoctor.org/docs/asciidoc-writers-guide/#

and if I may say, there may be reasons why is Asciidoctor so much
financially supported:

Asciidoctor - Open Collective
https://opencollective.com/asciidoctor

or txt2tags:

txt2tags
https://txt2tags.org/

and many others like reStructuredText and Wiki and what else, too
many.

The way to go to minimize at least some key bindings is to find the
union on what is common to each of those markups.

Common markup tags are headers, italic, bold, underlined, monospaced,
lists, links, tables, separators, etc. etc.

Once it is found what is common, then Emacs and markup modes may
define how those markups look like.

Then we can use functions similar to facemenu-set-bold to get that
bold markup in a way how a markup mode specifies it.

Then if key binding is for example "C-c b" for "bold" that bold would
appear different in HTML mode, rather like <strong>word</strong> but
in Markdown it would appear as **strong** and in Org as *strong* and
so on. Markup mode would define how those common markups are to be
applied, while Emacs could have its standardized key bindings. That
would make life easier for us who use multiple markups.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman