Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2022 10:19:38 +1000

> I have no problem if there are structured README.org or README.md files
> in parallel. But a README file should be plain text.

I've seen this mentioned multiple times in this thread and it doesn't
make sense to me.

Org files *are* plain text. This is one of (perhaps the biggest) selling
points for org mode. They don't use any form of 'binary' data and can be
read just fine in any text editor or just using cat/less/more whatever.
They may look a little *ugly*, especially with respect to URLs, but are
still quite readable - a lot more readable than other plain text formats
such as xml or html or json etc.

I also find arguments based around org being complex and difficult to
learn to be somewhat overstated. Org is powerful and very configurable,
which means there can be a lot to learn if you want to leverage off all
it has to offer. However, like emacs, the basics are very simple and
easy to learn.

While I'm not arguing that org should be forced upon everyone and I
would agree we need to keep potential load time issues in mind, there
seems to be lots in this thread over stating the issues and jumping to
extremes. All that seems to really be under consideration is to enable
rendering of *org files in help buffers using org font locking and
perhaps enabling folding, which could be very beneficial for large
readme files and would not matter for small ones. I also suspect this is
something which could be disabled with a simple variable setting for
those who really don't like it.