Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 21:12:11 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> - 236 org related key bindings - far less than 785 Of these, a number are
>> - actually remapping of existing bindings, so not new ones. This leaves 208.
>
> ??? How is remapping "not new"?  It takes some very common Emacs
> commands and redirects them to different commands.  E.g., 'open-line'
> now does something quite different.  This means the user should either
> go learn what the Org commands do, or be prepared to be surprised.

There are 3 main purposes of remappings in Org:
1. To implement some optional functionality. That functionality is not
   enabled by default and no surprises will be given to user.
2. To implement the original functionality where the existing Emacs
   customization is not sufficient. For example, org-backward-paragraph
   has to re-implement backward-paragraph as the original function only
   supports regexp-bases paragraph boundaries. Regexps are not
   sufficient in Org syntax.
3. Like (1), but deliberately changing the default behavior to what Org
   users prefer historically. This is usually not much different from
   customisations that are usually made in define-derived-mode, except
   that Emacs does not have enough flexibility to do it there.

>> I said that for a read only buffer, many of the org key bindings are not
>> relevant as they relate to features which are not pertinent to a read only
>> org
>> buffer. Any bindings relating to babel, todo management, time management,
>> agendas etc have no relevance when reading a readme.org file.
>
> Then why does Org define them in that case?

I am not very sure what is the problem with the number of bindings. It
is not different from Emacs itself.

For example, I am sometimes puzzled by <F2> prefix key in Emacs defining
bindings for two-column.el. Over years of using Emacs I only used them
by accident and always felt like the "break" my Emacs.

Yet, I am fine with those hundreds of default Emacs bindings I never
use. I do not have to read the full Emacs manual to understand those
bindings (they are even not all described in the Emacs manual!).

Best,
Ihor