Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 18:09:45 +0200

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> No, no, no, no!  Org mode is a highly complicated, obscure mode which is
> NOT part of core Emacs, and mustn't become so.

AFAICT, Org-mode has been distributed with Emacs for more than five
major releases by now (approx. 15 years).

> Surely the solution has got to be to encourage package authors to write
> plain text (or .texi) documentation, by pointing out the difficulties
> the non-standard .org format creates.

In the Emacs community, Org-mode is ubiquitous.  I think we should
actively encourage using it for most types of documentation, certainly
for README type files.

Texinfo has its strengths of course, but it is unfortunately perceived
as arcane and hard to use by many.  And Org-mode can be converted to
be read in 'M-x info'.