Re: GStreamer xwidget

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GStreamer xwidget
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 15:22:27 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 21:07:54 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> +@defun xwidget-media-pause xwidget
> >> +Suspend playback of @var{xwidget}, a media xwidget.  You can later
> >> +resume playback using @code{xwidget-media-play}.
> >> +@end defun
> >> +
> >> +@defun xwidget-media-pause xwidget
> >> +Start or resume playback of @var{xwidget}, a media xwidget.  You can
> >> +later pause playback using @code{xwidget-media-pause}.
> >> +@end defun
>
> > How do you stop the playback?
>
> That's the same as pausing playback, at least in GStreamer.

No, I mean stopping it so that it can never be resumed.

If GStreamer only supports those two actions, I wonder whether we
should have an abstraction layer above it.  But that could be in a
separate patch.

> > For that matter, why not have user commands to control playback?
>
> That would be for Lisp code using these primitives to implement.  (Just
> like image-mode has most of the user commands related to images.)

Well, I hope it will be.  Right now, even playing an audio in Emacs is
very restrictive: it locks up the main thread until the audio finishes
playing.  That's not appropriate for a modern platform, so I wish we
could have a better UI and UX.