Re: The new keymap functions

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: The new keymap functions
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 15:24:09 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The changes to the ELisp manual completely removed the documentation
> of global-set-key and other "legacy" functions, AFAICT.  I don't think
> we can do that: the code which uses those will remain with us for the
> years to come, and Lisp programmers should be able to read and
> understand what these functions do.  It is okay to say "don't use
> those in new code" (as you already did say), but we should put back
> the documentation of those few functions.  There aren't too many of
> them, and their documentation is quite short, so it isn't a big deal
> to have them in the manual.

They are still in the lispref manual (and indexed, if I didn't mess that
up), so people should be able to find them.  However, they just point to
the new functions -- which have the same call signature and semantics
(except for one function), which is why I didn't think it was worth
talking more about them in the manual.  The documentation of the new
function (along with the doc strings) seems sufficient to me.

A manual is primarily for people who are writing new code, not for
rooting out how legacy functions work.  The built-in doc system is
better for that.