Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New packag

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:13:10 +0300

* Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> [2021-04-21 15:51]:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Ideally yes, but is it possible to have a menu that can be both selected
> >> and expanded?
> >
> > I don't think I understand what you mean by "expanded" here.  There
> > are submenus, if that's what you meant.
>
> The current model I am using assumes that selecting-read is passed a
> list of objects, and each object can have sub-objects (children).
>
> Every object has it's representation calculated and is displayed in the
> popup buffer. Any objects can be selected, even those with children.

That sounds as great new feature, sounds like I could use that. I have
"Sets" which have its sub-objects, but Sets can be run, for example I
can click on a set to open directory belonging to the set.

I would like to use something as an expandable tree similar to
speedbar in a full frame. Maybe speedbar can be used that way.

> Most GUI menu interfaces I am familiar with do not allow selecting a
> menu that has children, but only "leaf nodes". If selecting-read should
> both have a buffer interface as well as a GUI interface, the abstraction
> should be restricted so that it fits both paradigms.

Sounds well.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns