Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico

From: Daniel Mendler
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 01:23:04 +0200

Hi Tassilo!

I've tried and liked it and I've also worked on my aggressive-completion
package to make it usable with vertico.  aggressive-completion basically
hits TAB for you during minibuffer completion in order to release stress
from your pinky.

That's an interesting idea. I've seen your package before, but didn't read through the whole thread.

Right now, I'm using aggressive-completion-mode together with vertico
using this configuration:
I will give this a try!

Now I have two questions:

1. Shouldn't there be a command like `th/vertico-complete' which
    completes the common part of the candidates?

Vertico follows the design where you put less importance on the prefix/TAB completion but instead excepts the user to enter more text for narrowing, which works well with the orderless completion style.

But note that Vertico is fully compatible with default completion, so as you observed you can just use `minibuffer-complete`. If you bind `minibuffer-complete` to the `vertico-map` it will work. See https://github.com/minad/vertico#keymap.

Is that good enough or do you have something else in mind?

2. One annoying effect with the above command and vertico is that the
    typical completion messages such as "Next char not unique" bump point
    to the right, i.e., with stock minibuffer completion you have

      my-input| [Next char not unique]

    whereas with vertico you have

      my-input [Next char not unique]|

    where | indicates point.  Why is that?

Yes, I've also observed issues with minibuffer messages appearing at the wrong place. Vertico uses overlays to display the candidate count and the candidate list, similar to Icomplete. Icomplete however removes the overlay in the pre-command-hook and puts the overlay back in the post-command-hook. I am not doing that. I just move the overlay to the end but it seems this solution is not good enough. Since I have not yet understood fully what the problem is I haven't done anything yet to fix the issue.

Besides, my recommendation would be to deactivate those messages. I think they are pretty annoying. I suspect even more so in combination with aggressive-completion.

(advice-add #'vertico--setup :after
            (lambda (&rest _)
              (setq-local completion-auto-help nil
                          completion-show-inline-help nil)))