Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 23:37:22 +0200

Hi Daniel,

I've tried and liked it and I've also worked on my aggressive-completion
package to make it usable with vertico.  aggressive-completion basically
hits TAB for you during minibuffer completion in order to release stress
from your pinky.

Right now, I'm using aggressive-completion-mode together with vertico
using this configuration:

;; Disable completion help since vertico shows the candidates anyhow.
(setq aggressive-completion-auto-completion-help nil)

;; A command which just expands the common part without selecting a candidate.
(defun th/vertico-complete ()
  (interactive)
  (minibuffer-complete)
  (vertico--exhibit))

;; Use that for auto-completion.
(setq aggressive-completion-auto-complete-fn #'th/vertico-complete)

(vertico-mode)
(aggressive-completion-mode)

Now I have two questions:

1. Shouldn't there be a command like `th/vertico-complete' which
   completes the common part of the candidates?

2. One annoying effect with the above command and vertico is that the
   typical completion messages such as "Next char not unique" bump point
   to the right, i.e., with stock minibuffer completion you have

     my-input| [Next char not unique]

   whereas with vertico you have

     my-input [Next char not unique]|

   where | indicates point.  Why is that?