Re: new coding system (was: Re: prettify symbols question)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: new coding system (was: Re: prettify symbols question)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 22:49:27 +0200

> From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 15:40:24 -0500
>
>    If it doesn't work, we might need to bring Kenichi Handa on board of
>    the discussion.
>
> If Kenichi Handa can help, that would be very nice -- it isn't a very
> important one but it would be useful for me to get this working.

I've CC'ed him, let's hope he responds soon.

>    > As I understood it, the charmap/charset is a mapping from UCS-4
>    > Unicode to whatever is on the target?
>
>    Not UCS-4, but Unicode codepoints (which is the same thing in
>    practice, but just so we get our terminology right.)
>
> Are you sure? According to the glibc manual (and a quick glance at the
> source, glibc/locale/program/charmap.c), the Unicode entry is supposed
> to be a UCS-4 name.

There's no difference between them.  UCS-4 comes from ISO, the Unicode
codepoints from the Unicode Consortium, but the values are identical.
I prefer not to use UCS-4, because it's confusing nowadays.  The Emacs
manuals use the "Unicode codepoint" terminology.