Re: new coding system (was: Re: prettify symbols question)

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: new coding system (was: Re: prettify symbols question)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 15:40:24 -0500

   >    Is this the encoding on Unix systems?  If so, maybe try without
   >    mapping characters below ASCII 128, I'm not sure this is supported in
   >    an ASCII-compatible encoding.
   >
   > I am not sure I understand.  On unix #o0 maps to the MIDDLE DOT, #o1
   > to DOWNWARDS ARROW, etc.

   If the low codes aren't identical to ASCII, then I think
   ascii-compatible should be nil, and I think the relevant example to
   follow is that of EBCDIC.  I'd suggest to construct a map file by
   hand, using EBCDIC maps as example, and see if that works.

It didn't, I took the EBCDIC-US map, and replaced the first entry,

<U0000>     /x00         NULL (NUL)

with

<U00B7>     /x00        MIDDLE DOT

   If it doesn't work, we might need to bring Kenichi Handa on board of
   the discussion.

If Kenichi Handa can help, that would be very nice -- it isn't a very
important one but it would be useful for me to get this working.

   > As I understood it, the charmap/charset is a mapping from UCS-4
   > Unicode to whatever is on the target?

   Not UCS-4, but Unicode codepoints (which is the same thing in
   practice, but just so we get our terminology right.)

Are you sure? According to the glibc manual (and a quick glance at the
source, glibc/locale/program/charmap.c), the Unicode entry is supposed
to be a UCS-4 name.