Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 20:30:07 +0000

If Gregory's change doesn't make things worse than they were before Emacs 27.1, then I think we should install it. In the emacs-27 branch, please.

Btw, to make sure the change is not for the worse, those same experiments should be repeated with enable-recursive-minibuffers set non-nil.

Repeating the same experiments with (setq enable-recursive-minibuffers t):

Does that work if you set tty-menu-open-use-tmm non-nil, then press f10 while the I-search: prompt is active? This is one case where Isearch reads from the minibuffer.

This works (the active minibuffer is moved to the current frame), with earlier and current Emacs versions, with or without the bugfix.

Another, perhaps more important, use case is when you type "M-s e" during Isearch: that enters the minibuffer to let you edit the search string.

This works (the active minibuffer is moved to the current frame), with earlier and current Emacs versions, with or without the bugfix.

Yet another similar use case is when you type "C-x 8 RET" during Isearch: that reads the character's name/codepoint from the minibuffer.

This still works (the active minibuffer is moved to the current frame), with earlier and current Emacs versions, with or without the bugfix.