RE: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: RE: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 20:40:44 +0000

I don't yet use Emacs 27, but this sounds like a very limiting regression, and one that isn't compensated by any gain.

Don't worry, it is now fixed.

The gain is explained in NEWS.27: When the minibuffer is active, echo-area messages are displayed at the end of the minibuffer instead of hiding the minibuffer by the echo area display.

For example, if you do C-x C-f, you see "Find file: ...". If you now switch to another window and do C-s foo, you will see: "Find file: ... [I-search: foo]".

With earlier Emacsen, or with Emacs 27 and (setq set-message-function nil), you see instead: "I-search: foo" (that is, the "Find file: ..." is hidden).