Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 10:32:33 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 09:52:33 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 20:38:10 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> > > FWIW, this behavior has been with us at least since Emacs-21.

> > Yes.  At least, it's present in Emacs 27.1.  How come I've never noticed
> > it before?

> > This morning, it was C-x C-s which failed to give me any output,
> > although I was expecting to see "(No files need saving)".

> > I still say it's wrong, but I suppose if I want it fixed, I'll have to
> > fix it myself.

> It is quite unusual to leave an active minibuffer and switch to
> another frame to start an Isearch.

It's rather something I tend to do by accident.  I start a command in
frame F1 which uses the minibuffer, I swap to F2 to look for the text I
want to enter in F1, then sometimes forget I've got the command in F1
still active.

> If you want to fix that, let's please first talk about what kind if
> fix are you looking for.

Above all, I want the command in F2 to use the echo area of F2, not that
of F1 (which in my TTY setup is not visible).

> Do you intend to leave the active minibuffer on the original frame, and
> use the other frame for Isearch?  Note that Isearch also uses the
> minibuffer.

I'm not understanding that, properly.  When I enter characters into
isearch in F2, this doesn't throw an error when the F1 minibuffer is
still active.  Is isearch perhaps just using the echo area, here?

Anyway, I tried the suggestion of Gregory Heytings from yesterday evening
at 21:48:49 +0000.  He put an extra condition into
set-minibuffer-message, so that it only does its thing when the current
frame is also the minibuffer's frame.  It appears to work well.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).