Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 11:03:19 +0200

Le lun. 14 sept. 2020 à 10:29, <tomas@tuxteam.de> a écrit :
On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 09:58:12AM +0200, Thibaut Verron wrote:
> Le lun. 14 sept. 2020 à 09:49, <tomas@tuxteam.de> a écrit :

[...]

> > FWIW, it's what I'd expect. Click, slide up/down along the menu,
> > release.
> >

> I never realized that most applications also support this way of using the
> context menu.

UI is like a labyrinth full of differently trained rats inside ;-)

Agreed.

That might be why most GUI applications transparently support both ways of operating the context menu. Given that their labyrinth/UI designers had more time, means and motivation to investigate mouse behaviors than we do, taking the same direction could be a good first step.

> I find that hold-and-slide moves are annoying to do reliably with a laptop
> touch-pad, though.

I haven't a touchpad currently (wrong: there is one, but I vastly
prefer to use the trackpoint). Some years ago I /had/ to use a
touchpad (bigcorps: the bosses know what you need better than
yourself!), but somehow I managed: click+hold was (one quick tap+
release, tap+stay and then move). This was pretty reliable.

I might have had bad luck or small palms, but I could never get complex tap combos to work reliably with palm detection.

At least I'm thankful that I never had to use one of those touchpads without click buttons...

Of course those things are so extremely variable (all the possible
combos of personal motoric predispositions, touchpad hardware and
firm/software, etc.) that you can't make a general rule.

Agreed. Again, I believe that it supports the idea of supporting both usages.

When asserting things about UI "this-and-this is better", take
into account that you are biased by your prior experience. Give
other people a way to opt out of your utopia, which might well
be their distopia :-)

Is that meant for me personally? Sorry if I came across as assertive, it was really the opposite of my intention.

I try to make it clear when my statements represent only my opinion and my experience. Sorry if I failed to convey that meaning at times, I will try harder.

Best,
Thibaut