Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 10:29:12 +0200

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 09:58:12AM +0200, Thibaut Verron wrote:
> Le lun. 14 sept. 2020 à 09:49, <tomas@tuxteam.de> a écrit :

[...]

> > FWIW, it's what I'd expect. Click, slide up/down along the menu,
> > release.
> >

> I never realized that most applications also support this way of using the
> context menu.

UI is like a labyrinth full of differently trained rats inside ;-)

> I find that hold-and-slide moves are annoying to do reliably with a laptop
> touch-pad, though.

I haven't a touchpad currently (wrong: there is one, but I vastly
prefer to use the trackpoint). Some years ago I /had/ to use a
touchpad (bigcorps: the bosses know what you need better than
yourself!), but somehow I managed: click+hold was (one quick tap+
release, tap+stay and then move). This was pretty reliable.

Of course those things are so extremely variable (all the possible
combos of personal motoric predispositions, touchpad hardware and
firm/software, etc.) that you can't make a general rule.

This is why I added another point of view.

People are extremely different [1]. Hardwares are, too, but
somewhat less. Same for firmwares. Same for softwares. The
latter two are extremely buggy, at that.

When asserting things about UI "this-and-this is better", take
into account that you are biased by your prior experience. Give
other people a way to opt out of your utopia, which might well
be their distopia :-)

Cheers

[1] Bigcorps, data harvesters and economists notwithstanding
 - t