Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 08:48:25 +0200

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 02:28:14AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I have been trying to find the usefulness for the command
'mouse-save-then-kill' and so far I understand what it does but I still
don't think it is more important/useful/intuitive than a good context
panel.

We don't need to choose, since we can get a context menu on
`down-mouse-3` and 'mouse-save-then-kill' on `mouse-3`.

       Stefan

down-mouse-3 means that it will need to keep the button pressed to keep
the panel visible/accessible?

If so, then that's not what the user expects in general. I have not
strong feelings about this (actually no feelings at all).

My main concern is that having a "kill" on double right click the
behavior is very error prone when trying to access the panel and could
produce accidental and unexpected behaviors very frequently.

That's why I think that protecting from an accidental kill requiring a
control presses is better while we remove the need of having "another
panel more" and we bring a more familiar/natural behavior.