Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Wayne Harris
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 21:17:19 -0300

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

>> > I do that in my config, except that I use an en dash as the separator:
>> > "%b – Emacs"; and I also display a • if the buffer is modified and
>> > visiting a file.
>>
>> Why do you use en dash?  Does Firefox, etc. use en dash, or is it simply
>> your own local customization?
>
> I do that because that is typographically correct.

IMHO and FWIW, two thumbs up for typographically correct.  However, I
think `` – Emacs'' is kind of useless.  I like useful information.  The
name of the buffer is definitely useful and, guess what, the name of the
machine too.  The directory where the buffer would be written to could
be an interesting addition --- as a right-side-filling.

When I want to know to which directory a buffer would be written, I say
C-x C-w to discover.  Then I C-g and continue my work.  For some reason
it's not a very rare operation that I do.  When I look at my frames I
see a lot of space on the right side.  But seeing ``– Emacs'' would
definitely make wish I knew I had memorized the name frame-title-format.