RE: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 16:12:45 -0700 (PDT)

> >     (setq frame-title-format "%b - GNU Emacs")
> >
> > Alternatively, I think one could also reasonably choose:
> >
> >     (setq frame-title-format
> >           '(multiple-frames "%b"
> >                             ("%b - GNU Emacs")))
>
> Either is fine by me and better than what we have IMO.

Off the top of my head, in order of diminishing
strength of opinion:

1. Either is better than what we have now.

2. I prefer the second one, as it's more specific.

3. Generally, the more specific and informative, the
better.  If more than one bit of info is conveyed,
it's good to put the most important or most specific
bits leftmost, since narrowing the frame truncates
from the right.  To avoid: "GNU Emacs" _followed by_
more specific info.

4. Showing whatever is most important from the mode
line might be good.  At a minimum, that's %b.

If there's room, maybe after %b show the modes part
(and recursive-edit brackets).

Setting `frame-title-format' to `mode-line-format'
works, of course, but the order might not be the
most useful in general.  (But try it, just to get
the idea.)

5. Being able to, with a user option, filter out
bits of the mode-line (depending on what?) would
help.  E.g., for an Info buffer, the encoding,
read-only, mode, and `Narrow' indications aren't
needed/helpful.