Re: whitespace-only changes

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: whitespace-only changes
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 10:04:49 +0200

20 aug. 2020 kl. 05.06 skrev Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>:

> I am sure he knows what he's talking about, but it is unfortunate that
> we cannot fix bad indentation.  Can't we correct this problem somehow?

At the very least we should always accept correction of misleading indentation.
That is not noise, but fully equivalent to fixing wrong comments or bad naming,
neither of which change the program as seen by the machine but do alter it in
human eyes.

At the other end of the scale, I definitely share Lars's dim view of invisible
changes (trimming end-of-line whitespace or transmuting tabs into spaces).