Re: Problems with call-process (= identifying run-python issues)

From: Juan José García-Ripoll
Subject: Re: Problems with call-process (= identifying run-python issues)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 09:52:57 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> It doesn't have to be "weird", it can be as simple as some antivirus
> software or some other such stuff, they could be blocking or tweaking
> cmd.exe invocations in some situations.  (Yes, in some quarters
> cmd.exe invocations are considered potential security risk.)

The script gets invoked. If I add an "echo I have been executed" line,
it shows in the output. That's the difference with the aspell.exe
problem -- here the executable from msys2/mingw64 was broken.

> It's possible to attach GDB to Emacs on Windows, yes.

It may not be that complicated. I just experienced the same problem with
a freshly new compiled Emacs, ran from a mingw prompt.

> I actually looked at the source code involved in redirecting the
> standard handles of subprocesses on Windows, and saw that if
> redirection fails, Emacs should signal an error.  So something morfe
> subtle happens in your case.  Maybe the batch file doesn't even run?

As I said above, the script does get executed. I hope it's not something
more complicated in the exec() code. Let's see if I can find anything --
hopefully it's not something as complicated as the Nextcloud
problems... And apologies for the noise this brings to the list.

Cheers,

--
Juan José García Ripoll
http://juanjose.garciaripoll.com