Re: Problems with call-process (= identifying run-python issues)

From: Juan José García-Ripoll
Subject: Re: Problems with call-process (= identifying run-python issues)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 18:23:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> I have now tried this on 2 different Windows systems, one of them
> Windows 10, and I cannot reproduce what you describe [...]
> So I think either this is due to some local configuration issue on
> your system, or there's some part of the reproduction recipe that you
> omitted.

Those are the only the steps needed. I am using runemacs.exe -Q in the
tests. I do not recall any "weird" configuration and I reproduce this
problem with Emacs 26.3 and 27, both on my laptop. I am a bit at a loss
at how to debug this further. Maybe I will have to attach a gdb while
Emacs is running if that is even possible on Windows.

> Working with Python on Windows has its quirks, because you need to
> make sure Python uses unbuffered writes to its standard output.  That
> is why I wanted to be sure Python is not involved here.

Precisely because it has its quirks, I had to create a batch file as
wrapper for Python (invoking Anaconda environment, setting right input
mode, etc). That is how I realized what was going on -- apparently only
on my system :-/

--
Juan José García Ripoll

Quantum Information and Foundations Group
Institute of Fundamental Physics IFF-CSIC
Calle Serrano 113b, Madrid 28006 Spain
http://quinfog.hbar.es - http://juanjose.garcia.ripoll