Re: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 08:31:55 +0000

The elisp manual says:

You can mark a named function as "obsolete", meaning that it may be removed at some point in the future. This causes Emacs to warn that the function is obsolete whenever it byte-compiles code containing that function, and whenever it displays the documentation for that function. In all other respects, an obsolete function behaves like any other function.

The phrase "may be removed" seems a bit vague. Would "will be removed" or "will probably be removed" be more accurate?

No, it won't. Primarily because we don't really know whether we will remove it, let alone when. It depends on too many factors that we cannot predict.

In that case, would a two-step process not be better? First declaring the function "obsolete", and when it is known that it will be removed declare it "pending-removal" with a target major version.

Gregory