RE: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: RE: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 14:45:11 +0000

Drew Adams:

My only request is to not remove `interactive-p'.
My request is to please leave it "obsolete".

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something, but I don't even understand why it is marked "obsolete". If (called-interactively-p 'interactive) is a common idiom (and it seems to be, the docstring of called-interactively-p indicates that "the only known proper use of 'interactive' for KIND is in deciding whether to display a helpful message, or how to display it."), it would make perfect sense to have, in subr.el:

(defun interactive-p ()
  "Shorthand for (called-interactively-p 'interactive).
See `called-interactively-p'."
  (called-interactively-p 'interactive))

Unless of course there is a long-term goal to replace "interactive-p" with some other definition.

Gregory