Re: master bdda935 2/2: Merge branch 'master' of git.savannah.gnu.org:/s

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master bdda935 2/2: Merge branch 'master' of git.savannah.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 18:26:30 +0200

Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> Yes, "pull --rebase" causes more trouble than it cures.
>
> I avoid the problem by never committing anything to my local copy of
> the master branch unless I immediately push the result.

I always do a pull --rebase.  Or, that is, I have this in my
~/.gitconfig:

[pull]
        rebase = true

Which I didn't have in my OpenBSD vm, which caused the confusion.

> Very occasionally someone else is committing at the same time so my
> push fails; in that case I delete my master branch, re-create it from
> upstream, and start over. So when I do "git pull" I never need to
> rebase and I never need to merge. This is cleaner and simpler than the
> alternatives, at least for me.

I don't really see any problems with the commit/pull --rebase/push flow?
Nobody else even knows that I've done it, which is how it should be.

The number of times I've needed to do a merge with that flow is...  I
can count them on two fingers, I think.