Re: master bdda935 2/2: Merge branch 'master' of git.savannah.gnu.org:/s

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master bdda935 2/2: Merge branch 'master' of git.savannah.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 20:43:02 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I didn't say it was magical, I said it can cause subtle problems.  I
> forget the details, but rebasing after merging could bring the same
> commit more than once.  Or something like that.

I don't see how.  It's just three very simple operations in one: 1)
Remove your own recent commits.  (Can't fail.)  2) Pull from the
remote.  (Can't fail; there's no newer commits in the local tree.)  3)
Apply the removed commits as patches, and re-commit.  (Can fail if
there's a conflict -- which has to be handled the normal way.)

There's "philosophical" issues with rebasing (in that you're pretending
that your own changes are newer than the remote ones), but that's not
something we care about.

> Why do you feel the need to rebase?  The default merge that pull does
> is as "non-magical" as rebase.

Well, as we saw here, we got the extra, useless "merge" commit email (of
interest to nobody), which started this whole thread.  :-)