Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 21:41:52 +0300

> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 18:22:48 +0000
> From: Theodor Thornhill <theothornhill@pm.me>
> Cc: dgutov@yandex.ru, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > My point was and remains that using default-directory as the single
> > criterion for deciding whether a buffer should be offered as
> > completion candidate to switch while working on a project, sounds like
> > not the best idea, since it will pick up many buffers to which users
> > are unlikely to want to switch as part of working on the project.
> Yeah, I agree.  I can try to come up with something more appropriate
> than the default-directory. Though I for one, want the *xref* to be part
> of that, since "project-find-regexp" uses it.

Why does it matter that project-find-regexp uses *XREF*?  the question
is why would you need to switch to it when it is not displayed in any
window?

> I believe I read you wouldn't want it. I guess many others will have
> many different opinions in this matter.

When I work with xref-related features, I keep the *XREF* buffer on
display as long as I use it.  When I'm done using it, I don't care
about it anymore.

In any case, there's just one such buffer, so switching to it is easy.

> In addition, when do we make that first desicion, really? Right now it
> just sort of happens after you go "git init" in terminal. To me it
> sounds like that new workflow adds some steps to what is right now a
> quite seamless experience.

That we mainly support projects that piggy-back VCS repositories
doesn't mean that's the only kind of project that could be useful.

And even if the backend is Git, no one said that I want all of the
files in the repository to be part of my project.  I may be working on
a project that includes just a handful of files from a repository that
has thousands of them.