Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 21:03:03 +0300

> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:46:36 +0000
> From: Theodor Thornhill <theothornhill@pm.me>
> Cc: dgutov@yandex.ru, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> If for instance the project-switch-to-buffer should have to know
> everything about every imaginable combination of interesting derivates
> of a project, then I believe that would be a quite a bit larger
> function (or at least a huge curated map of sorts).

What I had in mind was a simple filtering by major mode, not unlike
the current filtering by default-directory.  How complicate could that
be?

> What I am thinking, surely without knowing all the intricacies here, is
> that maybe the "switch-to-buffer" and "kill-buffers" also should be
> defgenerics? Then the implementation of what to show can be put off for
> later, and the "(head vc)" version can be decided now?

I don't see how this is relevant.  Whether the function we are talking
about is switch-to-buffer or project-switch-to-buffer, the problems it
will need to solve are the same, and the questions we need to answer
are the same.

My point was and remains that using default-directory as the single
criterion for deciding whether a buffer should be offered as
completion candidate to switch while working on a project, sounds like
not the best idea, since it will pick up many buffers to which users
are unlikely to want to switch as part of working on the project.

> Otherwise, I guess the user has to specify a set of patterns, or at
> least decide on major-modes to include, and that would seem like a
> hassle to me.

That is a one-time decision, when you start a project and decide what
kind of a project will it be.